Carbon monoxide dangers concern Rumford fire chief
RUMFORD State Police on Jan. 29 discovered a Lyman, NH couple, canada goose outlet along with several cats canada goose outlet uk and dogs, dead due to carbon monoxide poisoning. An alarm to detect the gas was canada goose canada goose clearance sale outlet parka found inside their home, but had no batteries.
Rumford Fire Chief Chris Reed says his department has responded this winter to calls concerning carbon monoxide (CO), including one case where a resident needed treatment at canada goose outlet shop the hospital.
colder it gets, people have a tendency of burning things maybe they shouldn burn.
other issue we been finding https://www.ferienhaus-starnberger-see.de is that the snowbanks are so high against their buy canada goose jacket houses that the direct vent furnaces (ones that go directly out the pipe to the side of the house), if you don cheap Canada Goose clear it, the intake on the other side of it just buy canada goose jacket cheap brings the CO right back in, he said.
Reed said carbon monoxide is one of those gases that both toxic and flammable. Most of the time, the canada goose outlet nyc toxicity kills you first. In cheap canada goose a structure fire, when there a lot of smoke, you see the fire in the smoke. It the carbon monoxide burning. It a flammable gas.
He said CO detectors monitor CO levels. When they sound, it for 10 percent of the permissable exposure.
of the policies I implemented here was that if we go to a CO (call) and it a family, and their CO canada goose uk shop alarm went off, or if they don canada goose outlet store uk have one, and there high CO, we give them one canada goose jacket outlet for the night. canadian goose jacket That way, when they go to sleep, they have some level of protection, said Reed.
He said the batteries for CO detectors always seem to be a problem.
call we had recently, it was really just luck, because the guy moved to the house, brought a CO detector from his previous residence, and just threw on the dryer. So when it went off, he thought that the battery needed to be changed. So he changed the battery and it went off again, said Reed.
He said that residence had high doses of CO. was just fluke luck. If he didn have that (CO detector), it would have been catastrophic.
Reed said canada goose outlet in usa canada goose outlet if someone is renting, the landlord needs to make sure they have carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors, preferred hardwired with battery backup.
problem with CO is that there no warning signs. It odorless, colorless, you don have a bad taste in your mouth. It slowly accumulates and builds up, and that the problem. That why you need a detection system to really see it, he said.
Reed said things that produce CO that you really don think about include propane fire ovens and stoves, pellet wood stoves, and propane and kerosene heaters that are unvented.
The good news is that this danger is preventable.
He said make sure you clean your chimney canada goose outlet online uk well, make sure you have no leaks in your piping, official canada goose outlet remove snow away from your direct vents.
The department recently received a call from an elderly person concerned about a chimney blockage.
don clean canada goose uk black friday chimneys. That a service that some other people perform. But you have to keep your chimney clean, particularly if you burning a fossil fuel, said Reed.
In one case, firefighters responded to a call of a plugged chimney that ended up being a CO issue.
Deputy Chief Rob Dixon added, that a hard thing to track because that was a plugged chimney, as far as our data goes, but not a CO call. We had four strictly CO incidents this year, but examples like that where CO is the primary problem don go in as a CO call.
Reed said that for their own protection, they carry CO meters with them. when we walk in and it (CO meter) sounds, we know we need an canada goose outlet toronto factory air pack and another level of protection.
He said that if you don have a CO alarm in your residence, and become tired, fatigued, a headache red flags. You need to call the fire department (364 2901).
Reed said they will check out the residence with carbon monoxide meters we always measure everything twice. Rumford Canada Goose online Fire Chief Chris Reed holds a carbon monoxide detector, something people need to have to protect themselves from a gas that colorless, odorless and deadly.